Pages

Friday, July 27, 2007

All In A Day's Misadventure

Well, I learned a valuable lesson today: never think you're day couldn't possibly get any worse than it already is.

I left work early today because I just couldn't deal with any more of the craziness without screaming. So what could possibly make my day worse? Well, some uninsured motorist decided it would be fun to side swipe me and shove my car head first into a telephone pole going 30 mph.

Now, at this point I learned two other things:

1. My muse just refuses to ever stop thinking about the next great story. I had never been in an accident before. I am covered over with gorgeous EMS workers, fire fighters, policemen. Yes, ladies nothing but men in uniform all around me. I hurt like hell, totally freaked out, my car is totalled. But what is the first thing uttered by me? Well, my muse decided that since I was too stunned to speak she would apparently. I looked at one of the sweetest, cutest guys there and said, "You'd make an excellent character for one of my books."
I'm sure they all got a kick out of that one. But, they told me once I felt better to stop by the station if I wanted to do research...he he.

2. This was the most powerful lesson of all. Friends are amazing. I'd rather lose all my earthy possessions than ever lose one of my friends. They were on the scene before I even realized what had really happened. They never left my side, and took over everything. They dealt with the police, the tow truck company, my insurance company and the nosy busy bodies. But the most inspiring thing they did? They dealt with my mother. I love my mom to pieces, but she freaks when something happens to one of her children. She is, to put it nicely, someone who requires a lot of special care and attention.
Yes, I'm 34. But I'm still her child. She calls at the same time every day and worries if I don't answer. They spent a lot of time on the phone with her while I was at the hospital getting checked out, and constantly reassured her over and over and over again that everything was okay. They had the patience of saints, and dealt with her in a manner I wouldn't have been able to even on a good day.

Oh yeah, and pain pills are amazing things.

Have a safe weekend everyone, and remember to be greatful for your friends.

No comments: