Pages

Monday, September 10, 2007

Broken Promises

My grandfather taught me one very valuable thing: your word is your bond. It is what you will be held to the most. You say only what you mean, and you do what you say. That simple.

I have noticed an overwhelming number of people growing lax with this. When did our word become "if I happened to get around to it." No. It isn't negotiable. Sorry. If you say you are going to do something, then freaking do it already. No excuses. No buts. Just freaking do it already.

And no, this has nothing at all to do with writing, or anyone in writing. Even though I do believe it poignant enough to span across any situation. I spent most of the weekend working on something for my other job, sacrificing my valuable writing time to do so. Why? Because I said I would. Why did I say I would? Because someone said they needed it because they were going to use it this weekend.

Guess what happened? I spent wakeless hours Friday night, all day Saturday and most of Sunday morning working hard on a project to get it to this person by noon. Only to discover today that she didn't even bother to open the file.

Arg.

I was raised to believe that your word was your most valuable asset. This asset depreciates as you fail to follow through with what you promise. 100 years ago it would destroy you. In today's society, it doesn't even appear to be a glitch on the radar of reality.

I guess all I have to say on this subject is this: The next time you give your word or promise to do something please remember that those two small words are the most critically uttered words. "I promise." or "I will." Do not neglect the age old meaning and significance of these words because one day it will turn and bite you when you least expect it.

No comments: