Pages

Friday, December 7, 2007

Holiday Cooking

Today's blog is all about the sweet treats I love during the Christmas season. Nothing seems to ring in the holiday better than a great piece of fudge or my grandmother's divinity.

I'm actually going to bite the bullet this year and attempt to make some myself. Now, this may not scare many of you. But those that know me are aware of the fact that I am not a baker at heart.

I couldn't use a thermometer in the kitchen in my life depended on it. I certainly do not know how to do that thing with the ball of stuff in the water to see if it's ready. You know what I mean, right?

See? I'm baking illiterate. Now, I know there are easier recipes out there. I'm sure I'll break down and use one of them. But I truly detest this inept side of myself. I like to be as well rounded as possible, and my inability to function with serious baking has got to go.

I also don't want to forget the way things were. I want to be able to do things the way they were done before the microwave, and before the easy bake creations I love so much. It's tradition, and at this time of the year I want that.

So, if you see a hoard of firemen headed down the highway and you're in my neck of the woods you know it's me. Burning the fudge.

2 comments:

Eva S said...

I hope your fudge was good! Our microwave just refused to warm our food and we haven't got a new one yet. It's funny how much you relay on some things to function, it's so difficult to be without them! Yesterday our lights went out and didn't come back for two hours and man, it was dark!! Some candles, it was nice but the kids weren't pleased!

Michelle Cary said...

I always loved my Grandma's fudge. Alas, I've been without it for several years now and though I do bake and enjoy baking, I've never been able to perfect her fudge. Have fun baking, its one of the few things I do like about the holidays (shopping NOT being one of them) *g*